List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: SmartTags really smart? No, but what about a SmartHistory?
From:       Wolfgang Mueller <Wolfgang.Mueller () cui ! unige ! ch>
Date:       2001-06-28 15:28:39

On Thursday 28 June 2001 11:21, Karl Günter Wünsch wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been following the discussions that ensued after Microsoft
> announced the new SmartTags in it's Windows XP and IE 6. I have been
> against the things because they would ultimatively make the Internet a
> marketing playground for anyone who has the money or the existing
> monopoly. But thinking about the things I came up with a good idea:
>
> Why not integrate sort of a search engine locally into the browser by
> indexing the information contained in the visited web pages meta-tag
> "keyword". Then if a user requests a link list for a certain word (by
> let's say holding the middle mouse button down for a second or longer
> above the word in question) a lists comes up sorted by time of last
> visit (and possibly split by the occurence of the site in the
> bookmarks). This would really help finding information again that once
> passed through the browser...

Hey, this is a cool idea. I would like to point you to
http://www.fer-de-lance.org
what you are speaking about falls in the cathegory of what we would like to
achieve with that project. What might be interesting for you is also the
remembrance agent by bradley rhodes.

What fer-de-lance tries to become is an umbrella for such services seeking
optimal interoperability. I come from the retrieval side, we could talk about
that once my thesis is over :-) this is pretty soon.

Cheers,
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang M&uuml;ller,
assistant-doctorant ==  PhD student (2001), teaching assistant