List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Font sizes in Konqueror and KWord
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2001-06-17 15:27:46

On Monday 11 June 2001 10:21, Dirk Mueller wrote:
|   On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, Vadim Plessky wrote:
|   > I think it will be useful to have corresponding KControl module for
|   > this. While I agree that I can override settings by running startx from
|   > command line, I think that's not the way most users launch their KDE.
|   > I guess most users use either KDM or GDM. So, necessary changes should
|   > go into it.
|
|   As far as I know its not possible to configure the dpi settings via xset
| or the XF86Config file. So you have to do it on your own.
|
|   Dirk

Did.  :-)

Following .serverrc allows to get 96dpi when starting X from console
(#startx):
------------------
#!/bin/sh
#
# custom .xserverrc script
#
X -dpi 96
------------------
But, for some reason, KDM ignores $HOME/.serverrc.
Placing similar script to /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc also doesn't help.

What I found is that you need to hack XDM settings in
/etc/X11/xdm/Xservers. It was
:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X -deferglyphs 16
and changing it to:
:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X -deferglyphs 16 -dpi 96
did the trick. (don't know what -deferglyphs 16 is about)
You need root access for it, though.
It looks like that this file (/etc/X11/xdm/Xservers) was untouched from 1998

$XFree86: xc/programs/xdm/config/Xserv.ws.cpp,v 1.1.1.1.12.2 1998/10/04
15:23:14 hohndel Exp

So, I don't wonder anymore why (allmost) all people have 75x75 dpi
resolution.

P.S. Not sure how such changes/options can be integrated into KDE.
But manual editing of this file is not an option, IMO.
May be, it's posible to inegrate such option into KDM?  KDM will make changes
to script, and restart X.
--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)