List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: SVG + KOffice/khtml
From:       Simon Hausmann <hausmann () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-06-15 18:32:57

On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 12:15:28PM +0200, Daniel Molkentin wrote:
> > What does libksvg feed to killu and kivio then ?

> > > not when using killu
> >
> > Than make this a KIllustrator plugin for Konqueror offered by the KOffice
> > package and put the support lib into koffice/lib. Wrong thinking ?
>
> That _would_ be an approach but somehow I don't like it. It sounds like
> overkill. Besides, we need the resulting image to be almost a common khtml
> image just like vadim says. This is because SVG is also indented to be used
> in conjunction with HTML.
>
> My knowledge of khtml and Qt3 is just too small to judge, but:
> Given these facts, what would be the best approach? Besides the common
> appoaches (using QDOM and such), would it make sense to use libxml for it
> (now that we depend on it anyway)?

I think the idea of a SVG kpart is the way to go. Besides that it allows
to easily switch to a qt3 based svg (with the qt3 svg you just feed the
data into a QPicture and play it onto your painter) . Trying to feed this
into khtml IMHO breaks the idea of having components do one very thing
good and get combined functionality through composition of components
(you take a khtml component for html and svgpart for svg data and combine
them using <iframe> for example)

Just my $0.2 euro

Bye,
 Simon