List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: SVG + KOffice/khtml
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2001-06-15 12:41:57

On Friday 15 June 2001 10:15, Daniel Molkentin wrote:
|   >
|   > So gradients, patterns, filters, animation and interactivity is done
|   > then ? ;)
|
|   No, I think Niko means the the basic shape primitives that are working.
|   Reading the specs, I found that SVG has a DOM2 based Object Model and
| thus it even has scripting facilities using ECMAScript
|   (http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/script.html).

well, SVG is XML-based. Don't know wether we should call it "XML-derivative"
or not.
This means that DOM: createElement should work for its structures, as well
as getElementById and getElementsByName

Finally, you can have access to DOM not only via ECMAscript (JS) but Java,
Python, whatever...

|   > > > Thus, a native renderer for SVG is missing.
|   > >
|   > > not when using killu
|   >
|   > Than make this a KIllustrator plugin for Konqueror offered by the
|   > KOffice package and put the support lib into koffice/lib. Wrong
|   > thinking ?
|
|   That _would_ be an approach but somehow I don't like it. It sounds like
|   overkill. Besides, we need the resulting image to be almost a common
| khtml image just like vadim says. This is because SVG is also indented to
| be used in conjunction with HTML.
|
|   My knowledge of khtml and Qt3 is just too small to judge, but:
|   Given these facts, what would be the best approach? Besides the common
|   appoaches (using QDOM and such), would it make sense to use libxml for it
|   (now that we depend on it anyway)?

Yes, I think so.
May be, to save time, just take Mozilla's SVG part and adopt if (slightly),
if necessary?
I doubt that writing SVG library is an easy task. It looks like to me that in
terms of complexity it's comporable to writing own Flash plugin.
While, of course, open-sourced Flash plugin for Konqi will attract a lot of
attention both to KDE and Konqueror :-)
Web developers like Flash, and a lot of people develop Flash animations.
SVG is not very common, and it would be interesting to see what solution
Microsoft will back, especially with upcoming IE6 and WinXP.

BTW: to have DOM access to EPS/PS objects and KIllustrator parts sounds great
IMO, Q. is - if it possible to implement?

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)