On Friday 15 June 2001 10:15, Daniel Molkentin wrote: | > | > So gradients, patterns, filters, animation and interactivity is done | > then ? ;) | | No, I think Niko means the the basic shape primitives that are working. | Reading the specs, I found that SVG has a DOM2 based Object Model and | thus it even has scripting facilities using ECMAScript | (http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/script.html). well, SVG is XML-based. Don't know wether we should call it "XML-derivative" or not. This means that DOM: createElement should work for its structures, as well as getElementById and getElementsByName Finally, you can have access to DOM not only via ECMAscript (JS) but Java, Python, whatever... | > > > Thus, a native renderer for SVG is missing. | > > | > > not when using killu | > | > Than make this a KIllustrator plugin for Konqueror offered by the | > KOffice package and put the support lib into koffice/lib. Wrong | > thinking ? | | That _would_ be an approach but somehow I don't like it. It sounds like | overkill. Besides, we need the resulting image to be almost a common | khtml image just like vadim says. This is because SVG is also indented to | be used in conjunction with HTML. | | My knowledge of khtml and Qt3 is just too small to judge, but: | Given these facts, what would be the best approach? Besides the common | appoaches (using QDOM and such), would it make sense to use libxml for it | (now that we depend on it anyway)? Yes, I think so. May be, to save time, just take Mozilla's SVG part and adopt if (slightly), if necessary? I doubt that writing SVG library is an easy task. It looks like to me that in terms of complexity it's comporable to writing own Flash plugin. While, of course, open-sourced Flash plugin for Konqi will attract a lot of attention both to KDE and Konqueror :-) Web developers like Flash, and a lot of people develop Flash animations. SVG is not very common, and it would be interesting to see what solution Microsoft will back, especially with upcoming IE6 and WinXP. BTW: to have DOM access to EPS/PS objects and KIllustrator parts sounds great IMO, Q. is - if it possible to implement? | | -- Vadim Plessky http://kde2.newmail.ru (English) http://kde2.newmail.ru/index_rus.html (Russian) Do you have Arial font installed? Just test it! http://kde2.newmail.ru/font_test_arial.html