List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: A more flexible solution for internet keywords
From:       Andreas Hochsteger <e9625392 () student ! tuwien ! ac ! at>
Date:       2001-06-12 11:11:41

Hi!

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Dawit Alemayehu wrote:

[...]

> > Look at the answer to Yves' mail.
> > I'd like to keep '\' for the reasons of simplicity for the implementation
> > and the user.
> > The compatibility mode (treat \1 as \0, when \1 is the only reference in
> > the query) works really good as well as the more advanced features
> > (name=Myname with the refernece \name in the query).
>
> Well I could not test that because you did not provide me with the
> .desktop file that defines your new "tel:" or anything else that uses
> the new scheme :)

I wanted to avoid posting big ammounts of data with the patch and provided
just an example with which you can test it. Look below for a command to
patch you local .desktop files.
You have to create it yourself, but you'll only need to copy the following
link into the web shortcut url using 'tel' as keyword:
http://www.otb.at/telefonbuch/search_result_start.asp?GUID=&Name=\name&Vorname=\vornam \
e&Strasse=\strasse&Hnr=\hnr&Ort=\ort&Zusatz=\zusatz&Telefon=\telefon&StartNr=0&FormExt=1

Test it with the following user query (a real test case ;-):
tel:name=Hochsteger ort=1150

The best would be to start konqueror from the konsole with the following
command:
# konqueror --profile webbrowsing
And look at the debug messages after you entered the query.

> > Perhaps you can agree to my reasons, when I don't want to make the
> > algorithm and usage more complicated, if there's really no problem with
> > the current implementation, which breaks something.
> >
> > The only misbehaviour which would be possible is the following:
> > One defines a query with only \1 and intends to only take the first string
> > of the user query. Since this gets treated as \0 this even works, if the
> > user uses the query with one user query string.
> > If he passes more than one string, then it all strings of the user query
> > substitute \1. But this case should not happen anyway, since it does not
> > make sense to only use \1 in the query and if so, then to pass more then
> > one user query string to this qery definition.
> >
> > I hope this clearifies this point a little bit ;-)
>
> You did not have to re-explain, I have no problems with the approach you take
> so long as it does not break anything else :)  I was just pointing out to Yves that
> we cannot $.  And from the qucik testing I did using the entry Yves provided as
> well as the concern I had, your patch seems to work correctly ; so the only thing
> left to do is go through the code again to make sure we have no gottchous which I
> will do tomorrow and commit it if I do not see any issues with it.  However, before \
> I do that I need a patch for all the .desktop files that converts them to the new \
> format :)

Before you change your local .desktop files, can you test it with the old
ones first? So you can verify, if the compatibility code works correctly.
To patch the .desktop files use the following command:

ls *.desktop | xargs perl -pi -e 's/\\1/\\0/g'

This replaces all occurances of \1 to \0 in all .desktop files of the
current directory.

> Regards,
> Dawit A.

Bye,