List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Form Completion
From:       Malte.Starostik () t-online ! de (Malte Starostik)
Date:       2001-03-10 5:30:46

Am Samstag 10 März 2001 00:23 schrieb Dawit Alemayehu:
> On Friday 09 March 2001 15:30, Malte Starostik wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > as suggested by Tackat on IRC I tried myself on form completion as in IE
> > 5 for KHTML. The attached patch does this, seems to work okay, but I'm
> > not sure if I put it into the Right Places (pat. pending). Does it look
> > okay to commit or should it be done in a different place?
> > -Malte
>
> I did not know the khtml form used KLineEdit and KCombobox....
> Anyways, one thing I noticed that I have reservations about is
>
> edit->completionObject()->setItems(static_cast<KHTMLView*>(view)->formCompl
>etionItems(element->name().string()));
>
> this looks like a KLineEdit call and means that a completion object is
> going to be created for all input widgets on a page.  This IMHO is too
> expensive specially on web-pages with large input fields.  The best thing
> to do here is to create the completion object and share it among all the
> created widgets and delete it when you are done with it...
Well, I did not try how Mozilla does from-completion, but IE (accoring to my
own tests as well as descriptions of this feature does completion based on
the form field's name, so a common completion object would not achieve this.
I thought about one completion object for one form, but then decided it would
be more overhead to seperate between input-names than to have one completion
object for every text-input, maybe I'm wrong here.
-Malte