List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: TreeMaps for Konqi?
From:       Marc Mutz <Marc () Mutz ! com>
Date:       2001-02-26 18:50:21

David Faure wrote:

> On Saturday 24 February 2001 14:22, Marc Mutz wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Could we _please_ add something like this to konqueror for 2.2? It is
> > such a damn ingenious thing!
> > http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/
> >
> > I'd take this task myself, but I'm just now writing my first KDE program
> > (a game - what else?) and do not feel competent, though the main idea
> > seems simple enough.
>
> Interesting idea, but looks more like a candidate for a separate KDE
> application, than for being integrated into konqueror. This view of
> the hard disk is... quite evolved, but not really intuitive nor easy
> to handle.

I'd like to disagree. If you mean by 'evolved' that it might be
complicated to compute: no it is not, just try SequoiaView on Win. If
you mean it is complicated
to use, then I agree - for normal purposes. You won't ever use this for
normal filesystem browsing. But this view is ideal if you want to know
where the 'big files' that clobber up your free space sit. Our with
colouring, you can see within a second, what type of data uses most of
your space.

> To find the biggest files on the hard disk, I can't see why a sorted-by-size
> recursive list wouldn't do the same job, more intuitively ?

This view is just cool. It has it's special uses, because it allows you
to view thousands of items simultaneously. That's it's main feature. But
most of all, it's just cool. It's like having a nice looking splash
screen: It _may_ be good for something, but in general it's there to
look good.
OTOH, this view is new and maybe powerful. It's _very_ close to current
research. Why do not have something that the Windows Explorer does not
have yet?

If I was to create a widget that can render treemaps, would you consider
a KFileView derived class using it worth of being added to an
experimental branch of konqueror?

Marc

--
Marc Mutz <Marc@Mutz.com>     http://EncryptionHOWTO.sourceforge.net/
University of Bielefeld, Dep. of Mathematics / Dep. of Physics

PGP-keyID's:   0xd46ce9ab (RSA), 0x7ae55b9e (DSS/DH)