List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: PCRE regexp patch.
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-02-03 15:52:21

Harri Porten wrote:

> Stephan Kulow wrote:
> >
> > Michael Bedy wrote:
> > >
> > >   With this patch, www.qixo.com (which uses many regexps) works (more)
> > > correctly. This library (libpcre3) was already installed on my debian
> > > system, I don't know about other distros.
>
> I had it by default, too (also Debian) but the headers weren't
> installed, yet. Since it's ifdef'ed (and should continue to be) that's
> no big deal, of course.
>
> > >   This patch does not fix up the rest of the missing regexp features, but
> > > it should now be doable. (Any page that uses enough regex features to need
> > > the fancier interface to .match would be totally screwed with POSIX regex
> > > anyway, so this is kind of a necessary condition of finishing the rest of
> > > it.)
> > >
> > >   This probably should not be checked in now because of the feature
> > > freeze? Or is this (as a non-user visible patch) still cool to be checked
> > > in?
>
> Every patch become user visible once it breaks something ;) If you say
> it works I'm fine with comitting as it's optional. The only issue I'm
> not sure is the effect on binary packages. Wouldn't be nice if
> uninformed packagers distribute RPMs that have a missing dependency.
> Crash ?
library dependencies are done automaticly.

> > >   Could someone more well versed in autoconf etc. check out what I did? I
> > > am not very well versed in autofoo and Made It Up On The Spot(tm).
> > >
> > >   I checked out the c++ interface at regx.sourceforge.net, and desided I
> > > liked the C interface better for this particular application. One, the C++
> > > version was more compilcated and I'm lazy. Two, using the POSIX interface
> > > to pcre means the same code can still work on systems with only POSIX
> > > regexs. (A broken kind of 'work' though it may be.) Of course, if someone
> > > really really wants to use the c++ interface, I guess it can be done.
>
> Your proposed solution is much more practicable.
>
> > The autoconf part looks ok, but don't add config.h to public headers. I don't
> > know if regexp.h is public - so just in case. And if it's not public, drop the
> > #ifdef HAVE_CONFIG_H
>
> It's not public. Just an internal wrapper in case somebody wants to
> replace the regexp lib one day :)
>
> All in all, I think it's a very nice thing. The only aspect speaking for
> post 2.1 is the additional library dependency.
I see this as no reason. What bothers me more is that some users will have it
and their konqueror behaves differently than for those without it. So we should
either require it (and put a copy in kjs?) or not depend on it at all.

Greetings, Stephan

--
It's my true belief that people having wishes for the bug report tool
and report it to the author haven't got the idea behind open source.