List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: konqueror SMB support problems
From:       Jelmer Feenstra <spark () dds ! nl>
Date:       2000-09-18 18:05:25

On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Given the current problems with the smb slave in the KDE CVS Repository
> I think it would be very realistic to get your new smb slave into the
> 2.0 release. I (and probably whole kfm-devel@kde.org ;-) would be
> _VERY_ interested it testing it (and including it if it works better
> than the current smb ) .
>
> Is there any way to test it? :-)

I've contacted Alexandr Makaryk about it, he sent me the .tar containing the
MWN library and the SMB slave. It all looks quite useful, however I really
think the current smb implementation is the better one. The implementation
done by Alexandr is actually just a wrapper around smbclient (tools from the
samba package) and doesn't allow for files to be actually read / streamed
from a windows share.

This means that copies have to be made of every file you're trying to access
, this is,  if you guys go for the Corel solution. Brodu's libsmb++ uses
actual replacements for the standard open / read / close functions, which I
think is the way to go. This enables applications like pictureviewers or
audioplayers to read the file directly from the network, instead of copying
it first and reading it from the local drive afterwards, which is SLOW.

BUT, in order for the libsmb++ code to keep functional, it has to be updated
frequently :( This is not an issue if the smb slave is implemented using a
smbclient wrapper. As long as the smbclient's output / input doesn't change,
konqueror's (*limited*) smb support will be working great for a long time.

Your thoughts / comments ?

Jelmer Feenstra