List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC:UserAgent string in kio_http
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-07-14 11:31:18

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, Alex Zepeda wrote:
> Grr I don't really like this, as the code is the same, I think that each
> app should really share the selected user-agent strings.

That's the developer point of view. From a user / website designer point of
view, when konqueror connects to an HTTP server it should send Konqueror, not
kio_http. Think about the statistics that everyone does on the web sites.
Since even kfm announced itself as Konqueror, it makes sense that konqueror
does the same. You didn't like the fact that e.g. caitoo doing an HTTP
connection would be announced as Konqueror, and I agree about that, and
that's why IMHO this change is in the right direction. For the _user_, caitoo
and konqueror are two different apps, they should send two different user
agent strings. The fact that it's the same code is only for our convenience.

--
David Faure <david@mandrakesoft.com>
KDE Developer