List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC:UserAgent string in kio_http
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-07-14 7:40:55

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, Alex Zepeda wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, Dawit Alemayehu wrote:
>
> > You may ask why ?  I am beginning to suspect that many sites check the
> > userAgent string to supply content and some of the weird problems
> > people are experiencing such as not being able to login into some
> > sites like Yahoo might somehow be related to this.  I of course have
> > no conclusive proof of this and could utterly be wrong !!!  Anyways,
> > this would not be a big deal since every app that uses the io-slaves
> > can override this by simply doing
>
> Well, I'm wholeheartedly against this change.  Why?  w3m tends to work
> without sending Mozilla stuff.  So, if you change the string, test it, and
> can document proof that it really does make a difference, then by all
> means do so.  *or* ship with bastardized user-agent string for the known
> fucked up hosts only.

Well I had a change of heart after I fired off this email so I left this as
is.  The truth is it really does not make much of a difference from what I
tested :((

> > b.)  Makes it easier to update the UserAgent information when the user changes
> > the information.
> >
> > c.) Allows other applications the ability to set whatever name they want when
> > they need as a user agent kio_http (customizability)
>
> Grr I don't really like this, as the code is the same, I think that each
> app should really share the selected user-agent strings.  Oh well.  But,
> the big problem I see right now is that the (semi?)colons in the revision
> tag seem to cause weird things with the curent host matching stuff.

Well we already to this to a certain extent already right ?  I mean we let the
user modify this setting.  My only problem here was that the current user
agent string says Konqueror Revision blah blah !!  If other applications that do
not use konqueror attempt to use the io-slave the header still states that the
user agent is Konqueror.  You can think of it in terms of another browser
designed for KDE that makes use of say khtml and kio.  Should it also get the
"konqueror" user agent string ??  I am only giving this as a potential example...

> > P.S.  Alex I do not know if you are subscribed kfm-devel, but since
> > you are back and the original author of kio_http, I am forwarding this
> > to you as well :))
>
> I never really left the lists voluntarily, I just got bounced from
> kde-devel and kde-cvs.  kfm-devel and kde-core haven't bounced me *yet*
> (and yes, I'm back on kde-cvs).

Ah.. okay.  It has been long time since I have seen you post anything that is
why I said this and CC'ed you :)

Regards,
Dawit A.