List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Binary incompatible changes: khtml
From:       Lars Knoll <Lars.Knoll () mpi-hd ! mpg ! de>
Date:       2000-05-30 10:23:45

Hi,

sounds mostly fine to me. I have one comment though.

On Mon, 29 May 2000, Peter Kelly wrote:
> I'm assuming that this wednesday is the last chance to make binary
> incomatible chanes, sot here's a few things I need to clean up with
> khtml. These are changes that will only affect apps that access khtml's
> DOM tree (Kafka is the only one I know of).
>
> Briefly, these include:
> - Some classes that are not descended from Node do not have Impl
> classes, or have Impl classes of the wrong type (e.g. DOMImplementation,
> DocumentRange, NamedNodeMap)

There is a reason for this. DOMImplementation for example is a class with
no functions one can write to. So I don't see the reson for havin an Impl
vclass there. If I remember correctly (no CVS access from here),
NamedNodeMap is one of the classes you say has a pointer to an Impl class
of the wrong type (a pointer to a nodeImpl). But this is basically what is
needed for the class to work correctly, so I'm not sure if this really
needs to be changed. Anyway, changing a pointer later on to point to
something different gives no problems for binary compatibility.

> - All the classes in dom2_range.h and dom2_traversal.cpp do not have
> impl classes, and also have some internal variables in the main class.
> These should be moved to impl classes (and also the processing code for
> these classes)

For these classes I agree.

> - Some classes do not have an isNull() method or handle() method (to get
> access to the impl class).... these are needed for ECMAScript to do type
> conversion and equality properly (actually, these may not cause BCI
> problems)

Just add them.

> - Node::applyChanges() and Node::getCursor() to not need to be virtual
> (the impl classes handle the virtual stuff)
>
> Any objections me committing these changes?

Just take 5 minutes to think about my comment above, otherwise go ahead.

Lars
--
taking half an hour break from his holidays to answer some mails...