List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: menu item naming suggestion
From:       Dawit A <adawit () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2000-04-30 22:52:53

On Sun, 30 Apr 2000, David Faure wrote:
> It was suggested to me to rename the menu items this way :
> Split View Horizontally -> Split View Left/Right
> Split View Vertically -> Split View Top/Bottom
> Split Window Horizontally -> Split Window Left/Right
> Split Window Vertically -> Split Window Top/Bottom

This sounds good, but how about going one step further and making that menu
shorter using a sub-menu:

Split View -->
	Left/Right
	Top/Bottom
Split Window -->
	Left/Right
	Top/Bottom

OR

Split -->
	View Left/Right
	View Top/Bottom
	------------
	Window Left/Right
	Window Top/Bottom

Does this make sense ??

> I think this makes a lot of sense, since with "horizontally" you never
> know what it means (for instance one may think it means the splitter
> will be horizontal, which is not the case).

Yep, I get confused by this  all the time too  :)).   BTW, a very silly
question that I had already asked before.  What is the difference between
splitting the View and the Window ??  From the prespective of the user does
this make much a difference ??  I can see this question being asked a lot :))

> One problem though: Ctrl+Shift+H was alright with Horizontally but
> not with Left/Right :-) Suggestions ?

Does this matter since it is configurable anways ??  Why not leave it as
is and people can change it to whatever they like.

Regards,
Dawit A.