List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Re: Cookies Anyone ? :)))
From:       Dawit A <adawit () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-04-26 3:42:14

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Dawit A wrote:
> > > The kcookiejar probably needs to catch SIGTERM as well, and save itself
> > > when it receives such a signal. Otherwise you will miss cookies at the
> > > end of a session. Normally the cookiejar only saves cookies once every 15
> > > minutes or so. I don't know if it saves configuration changes
> > > immediately. I guess it should, if it doesn't do so already.
> >
> > Ahhh... good idea.  I will add this.  I think this is a better approach
> > than saving after a specific amount of time.  We write to the cookie jar
> > after every change anyways so all other scenarios should be okay :-)
>
> Well, you don't want to save the cookiejar (as opposed to the configuration)
> after each change, because if you have "accept all cookies" as default it can
> happen that you receive 20 cookies for a single web-page. You don't want to
> save the cookie-file 20 times then.

Ooops my fault.  My statement was very vague :)  I actually meant the policy
file and not the cookies themselves.  It also gets saved every three minutes
just like the cookies.  This seems unnecessary with the hack in the control
module to reflect the changes as they happen.  In fact if I do not remove it,
it will cause some a race condition on writing to the cookie policy resource
file.

[snipped]
> Whatever, both will work. A DCOP call will be somewhat faster because you
> don't need to start a whole new process. (If the cookiejar wasn't running it
> doesn't need to reload anything anyway)

Well the stuff you mentioned above and other forces determined the fate of this
!!  The cookie management dialog box I am working on needs the ability to
remove single cookies from the jar ; so I need to make a call to eatCookie(...)
which means I need to use DCOP **yeahhhh** :)

I will have something soon.

Cheers,
Dawit A.