List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: FTP question
From:       Dawit A <adawit () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2000-04-10 2:08:18

Hello,

Doesn't ABORT work for you ?  If you send 'abor' to the FTP server, it is
supposed to force it to abort the current action.  You would then get a
response back from the remote server which is not always the same response.
Here is a little excerpt I got from RFC 956 on aborting of course I have no
idea if this will work for you :)))

ABORT (ABOR)
This command tells the server to abort the previous FTP
service command and any associated transfer of data.  The
abort command may require "special action", as discussed in
the Section on FTP Commands, to force recognition by the
server.  No action is to be taken if the previous command
has been completed (including data transfer).  The control
connection is not to be closed by the server, but the data
connection must be closed.

There are two cases for the server upon receipt of this
command: (1) the FTP service command was already completed,
or (2) the FTP service command is still in progress.

In the first case, the server closes the data connection
(if it is open) and responds with a 226 reply, indicating
that the abort command was successfully processed.

In the second case, the server aborts the FTP service in
progress and closes the data connection, returning a 426
reply to indicate that the service request terminated
abnormally.  The server then sends a 226 reply,
indicating that the abort command was successfully
processed.

BTW, 'abor' seems to work on ftp.kde.org and my own isp.  I used telnet to test
it out.

Regards,
Dawit A.

On Sun, 09 Apr 2000, David Faure wrote:
> Hi,
> I need an FTP expert ;)
> Short version: how to abort a download ('retr') ?

foolishly [snipped] the rest :)