List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Gecko
From:       Lars Knoll <Lars.Knoll () mpi-hd ! mpg ! de>
Date:       2000-04-08 20:18:17

On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, KDE Entwicklung wrote:

> > You'll have to ask the KHTML people about this, like I said before I'm
> > just a user like you are when it comes to the HTML stuff ;-)
> >
> I'm not a programming guru like Lars and those guys, but i am watching
> the development of these two browsers since awhile.
>
> Concerning the completeness, gecko is unbeaten in the non-windows World:
> it provides _complete_ CSS2 Support, and - as far as this is possible
> by now - XSL. For Konqi to reach this goal there's still some work to
> be done, whereas the mozilla people are ready to go.

Well it is for sure more complete than IE, but saying it has complete CSS2
support is exagerated. Go to www.richintext.com for a list of things
working in the different browsers (konqueror is not in there up to
now...). You'll see, that even mozilla misses quite some of CSS2's
features, and actually konqueror id (except for absolute positioning and
some other more fancy stuff) not too far behind.

> But what's the use of implementing standards that do not yet exist?
> That would really be a waste of time, IMO.
>
> Apropos waste of time: I do believe that it would not be too difficult
> attach the gecko engine in some KPart, at least not as hard as
> reimplementing would be, but: Who can claim to have been creative, when
> he just glued something together?

I doubt it would be that easy. Many people have talked about that for a
while now, but nobody really did it (and I have no interest in working on
it). Also Gecko is only the rendering engine, and AFAIK that still does
not include Java/Jscript and the other more fancy things.

> This is a question of honor, not of efficiency, i think.

A question of interest too ;-)

Lars

--
Lars Knoll                                 knoll@mpi-hd.mpg.de