List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Gecko
From:       Frédéric_LEUBA <frederic.leuba () free ! fr>
Date:       2000-04-06 10:27:53

Hello,

Thanks for this very complete answer.

> KHTML is opensource, supports all latest standards from the W3C,
> is pretty fast, and light, and very modular. ;-))

;-)

> Neither.
> It is usually much longer and painful to try an adapt something developed
> by other people, then there is the problem of duplication (maintaining
> both versions up to date, trying to get the changes into it, etc.),
> and it's much less fun.

Well, I must confess I 100% agree.

> Lars, Antti and a few others are doing a wonderful job on KHTML.
> I'm sure they would have much less fun trying to integrate Gecko.

That's also right, I am impressed how fast and clean they do it.

> You may think it's a waste of time, but people prefer spending their time
> on developing something the way they want (and for KDE it means object
> code, very modular, as much documented as possible, Unicode-aware - which
> is usually missing in existing c programs -, ...) instead of trying to
> integrate and maintain some code written elsewhere, often in c, and
without
> the same standards, which in the end takes _more_ time.

Hmm, I was just WONDERING if it was a waste of time.
Concedering  all your points, it seems it is justified in many points, and
specially the one I also appreciate when developping: having fun.

> Now we really need to get that web site up, so that people can see
> what konqueror can do already ;)
 I'm impatient to see that, even if we can already see some stuff on Mosfet
pages.

Thanks