List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: kdeinit
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-04-05 20:17:09

On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 09:17:26PM +0200, Dirk A . Mueller wrote:
> On Mit, 05 Apr 2000, David Faure wrote:
>
> > > It would be _much_ better that if one konqueror segfaults, the other ones
> > > would stay alive.
> > Don't they ?
>
> No, they don't. just everything connected with it gets terminated. try it
> yourself. I can get konqueror to segfault reproducable by switching to
> "detailed" view. when it does that, everything goes down.

Hmmm, this is most weird.
I can't reproduce this (konqueror crashes, that's no problem :),
but it doesn't bring kdeinit down with it. The "kdeinit: konqueror" process
crashes, disappears, doesn't core dump (grrr), but that's all.
All the other kdeinit processes still run fine.

Aaaaaah, that could be why, no ? The sigsegv handler makes the process
abort in a nicer way, perhaps... Can't test removing the handler, since I
guess it's kdeinit's handler we're talking about here (now that konqueror
is dlopened). Will try at next logon.

Anyway - don't you have the crash handler on ? Does konqueror bring down
_all_ kdeinit processes ? Can you reproduce this reliably ?

... trying to gather some info as to why it works for me and not for you... :/

http://home.clara.net/faure/