List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: konqy listview configurability
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-03-20 22:15:52

On Mon, Mar 20, 2000 at 08:04:49PM +0100, Michael Reiher wrote:
> David Faure wrote:
> > Yes (but I'd never have found that feature if you hadn't tell me),
> Letīs see...X-Mailer: Internet Mail Service(what ever that is) or

Wrong. I've been using it for _newgroups_ for 7 months now, and I never
figured out how to add the 'flag' column I was missing. And yes,
the newsgroup thingy works just like the mail one.
You found it because you like playing around with software and
finding how it fully works ("oh, a button, what does it do").
I played the really dumb user here: "I just want to get my stuff done",
which is what most people do. And when trying to add the missing column
without trying too hard, it didn't come up intuitively.

> > and the arrows work the other way round if you compare them
> > to a scrollbar (or more accurately, compare them with the kicker
> > arrows). You have to press the Left button if you want to see one more
> > field, i.e. the first one the _right_. kicker buttons work (obviously)
> > the other way round: you press Right to see the first one on the _right_
> > that you can't see.
> Hmm, I think you canīt really compare that as kicker scrolls the buttons
> whereas Netscape adds/removes the rightmost item.
I know. The point is that they _look_ the same and do completely different
things.

> But the left ones
> allways stay in their place(only resize a little) Furthermore weīd be
> free to exchange the meaning of the arrows:)
And confuse Netscape users ;-)

> Or replace them by +/-, better IMO.
Sure - that would be a little bit better.

> > But I like being able to move columns yes. QListView supports that, no ?
> DnD the columnheaders?
Yes.

> > I guess it's just a matter of storing the position in a config file ?
> What is just a matter of storing the position in a config file ?
If Dnd works, then all we need is to store the position of the columns.

> > > No it doesnīt right now. But it could:) I mean, why not? Only the name
> > > by default of course.
> > But where ??? ;-)
> > Appended to the name below the icon ? Hmm.
> Write it below the name:) Perhaps in a somewhat unobtrusive color so
> that wonīt confuse too much.
Hmm :)
> I will try it out, itīs on my ToDo list.
Ok :)
Note that this is totally different from the listview config.
You may want 10 columns in the listview, but just one or two fields
in the icon view.

http://home.clara.net/faure/
See ftp://mandrakesoft.com/pub/david/kde1-and-kde2.txt to set up KDE 2