List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: RE: konqy listview configurability
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-03-20 14:05:39

On Mon, Mar 20, 2000 at 03:12:01PM +0100, aleXXX wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Mär 2000, David Faure wrote:
> > Why not doing it this way (in the submenu listing the columns) :
> >
> > - disabled menu item -> not supported
> > - unchecked menu item -> supported but hidden
> > - checked menu item -> supported and shown.
>
> because I have to open the submenu to see it.
... which makes sense if you're looking whether you can
show more or not.
Sorry, I thought your question was about this.

> Hmm, we both like to insist on our versions. ;-)
Well, I answered your question in a way that I thought
version-independent ;-)).
The question of per-protocol configuration and auto-saving or not
are open, I think. But the solution for the submenu is unique
and is the one above, I think. See below for more on this.

> I really believe that not hiding the unsupported column but displaying e.g.
> "Not supported" is the best way of feedback to the user.
And I really believe that this is bad UI design and a waste of space !
Why would users want to see, when using SMB, "symlinks not supported" ?
Be prepared for the bug reports "please support symlinks!".
The submenu reflects what one can and can't do, fine. Displaying
something that looks like an error message is really not
user-friendly.

> I will do something to tomorrow and then send you, ok ?
Something which way ? ;-))

> > Using KProtocolManager::listing() will easily tell what is supported
> > for a given protocol, if we fix the .desktop files this way.
>
> Yes, should this checking be done in ::slotStarted() or in ::openURL() or
> somewhere else ?

When filling that menu, i.e. in openURL if this is a new protocol - that
check already exists. Basically on a new protocol we (well, I) want to:
- get hold of the supported fields using KProtocolManager
- get hold of the fields the user wants to see (readProtocolConfig())
- display all fields in the menu, disabling the ones that are not
supported and checking the ones the user wants to see.
Then the widget uses the configuration to show the columns - that code
is already there too.

--
David FAURE
david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org