List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Konquerror status
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-03-03 0:19:50

On Thu, Mar 02, 2000 at 03:36:07PM -0800, vasant kanchan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I finally got my kde 1.1.2 based kfm to display GIF
> after I used QT 1.42 instead of QT 1.44. The browser
> works quite well and uses about 8MB of memory.
> I am impressed.
:-)

But kfm has a tendency to eat more and more memory while browsing...
(Some caches are never purged...)

> What is the status of 2.0 based kfm ?

It's under development, but already ways better than kfm.

> I want to
> build a web browsing device. How much memory does it need ?
I'm not really sure about this...
But it shouldn't eat memory like kfm did.

> I notice that kfm exec's kioslave when I click on a
> link. This somewhat slows it down.
But that's what makes it possible to have true asynchronous input output.

> I was originally thinking of Mozilla but that is about 18MB unzipped
> binary. Too large for a device.

Is that RAM, or size of binary ?
Those are two completely different issues...

konqueror is a small binary but loads quite a lot of shared libs.

--
David FAURE
david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org