List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Question about new KIO
From:       Graham TerMarsch <gtermars () home ! com>
Date:       2000-03-02 23:38:43

Don't know if this is the best list to ask on but I figured that its at
least relevant here.  Have this idea toying through the back of my mind
here on a new app to create, and wanted to find out if it'd work with
the new KIO....

Short version of the app is that it's a website validator.  Validating
not in the sense of "we check for broken links", but in the sense of "we
check to make sure that based on the headers provided, you got the right
response".  I do a lot of work for my customers turning their Webservers
into App servers, and find that I'm spending a ton of time sitting at a
cmd prompt telnetting directly to the http port and feeding it a raw
HTTP request to see if the results that come back are what I expected.

What I'm wondering.....is whether or not the new KIO (specifically
kio_http) can provide me a low enough level of access to the request and
response that I can:

1) Specify the exact contents of the headers that I want to send to the
webserver.

2) Get access to the full header information of the response received.
In the event of a http redirect, I need to be able to query the response
_before_ any redirect is actually done (I need to see if I'm being
redirected to the right place).

Ideally I'd like to be able to do all of this in KDE without having to
have any sub-processes of my own that I fire up.  But, if what I've
outlined above isn't possible I know I'd be able to get away with doing
the HTTP request out of a Perl script that'd do the dirty work for me.
Either that, or do raw HTTP connections myself (but then it'd be a
serious pain when i get around to doing HTTPS stuff).

Any suggestions on this one?  Will the new KIO let me have access that
low to the actual request/response?

--
Graham TerMarsch

// If you know the answer to a question, don't ask.   -- Petersen
Nesbit