List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    konq_searcher and languages
From:       Yves Arrouye <yves () realnames ! com>
Date:       2000-02-24 0:23:18

Hi,

As you may have noticed, konq_searcher (pseudo-URL prefixes to do search; I
say pseudo because one would type "av:some query" to search for "some query"
on AltaVista, not "av:some+query" as in a real URL) is now in
Network/Enhanced Browsing, and can be easily configured.

I am thinking that this is all well and nice but... what do we do regarding
languages? AltaVista can do searches in many languages, for example, and
there is also an AltaVista Germany, one in France, etc....

I would love to extend konq_searcher so that one could always use the same
shortcut and get appropriate content in the "right language". My question
is: how would you like it to work? I'd like to use the browser's language
preferences. Most search engines do not look at your browser's language
settings to decide what language to use, but I could. The question then is:
what happens when I change KDE's default language? Does konqueror put the
UI's default language first in its language preferences? If not, could that
be an option, or could Konqy's preferences accept a magic name in its HTTP
config, and have that as the default for example, so that I could use
something like "$LANG en fr" as my language preferences, where $LANG would
represent my system's language?

Also, does the accept language really only apply to Konqueror (sound like it
does, given the fact that it's within Konqueror Browser prefs; but then
shouldn't Network/User Agent also be moved there or changed so that the
default mapping can be controlled by whatever user agent is being used?)

YA.

PS: one question that goes with that is: how can I get a translation for the
CVS HEAD so I can see what effect changing languages has on the UI?