List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    restructuring of khtml / switch to css based layouting
From:       Lars Knoll <knoll () mpi-hd ! mpg ! de>
Date:       1999-12-17 13:44:19

Hi,

as you perhaps already noticed, I made some changes in the directory structure
of khtml. This is mainly, because khtml got to big, to hold everything in one
directory. The new structure is a bit more logical, and should make it easier
for people to find their way through the code.

The directory structure looks as following now:

dom/	holds the API for the document Object model (Level 1 and level 2 css at
	the moment)
css/	Implementation of the CSS part of the DOM,
	CSS Parser and in the future some helper classes to apply the
	stylesheets to the document.
xml/	at the moment only the iimplementation of the DOM Level 1 core
	(which is basically the xml DOM). Might contain more stuff for
	xml support in the future.
html/	The html part of DOM Level1,
	the html parser and tokenizer plus some helper classes.
rendering/ Does not contain much at the moment, and will hold the new style
	based layouting and rendering engine in the future
kjs/	The java script engine
java/	java stuff
test/	some test pages for khtml

As a second thing, Antti and I are going to change the layouting and rendering
engine from the one we're using now (basically it's merged into the
implementation of the HTML dom, see my post about 2 weeks ago), to a
CSS/StyleObject based layouting/rendering mechanism. This new engine will be
much more flexible than the one we have now, give us support for CSS, and allow
rendering of XML (combined with style sheets) in the future. Because this
switch will break the whole layouting stuff in khtml for the next few weeks, we
decided to do these changes in a separate branch and merge things back after
khtml reaches a useable state again.

Cheers,
Lars