List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Fwd: Konqueror
From:       Lars Knoll <knoll () mpi-hd ! mpg ! de>
Date:       1999-11-25 13:17:15

Hi,

I got a mail with some suggestions about bookmarks in konqueror, which might be
interesting.

Cheers,
Lars

Subject: Konqueror
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 11:09:27 -0000
From: "Alan Prescott" <ajp@fudokai.org.uk>

Hi Lars - Sorry if this isn't the correct way to pass on suggestions for
Konqueror development but I can't seem to find an official path.

I don't know much about Konqueror except that it's a browser, so I'll pass on a
few thoughts generated from using Netscape.

In a multi-user environment it would be highly useful if the bookmarks system
could include other bookmark sections (e.g. from other users, corporate-level,
department level) etc. One thought would be to have the ability to specify
sections / entries in a bookmark file as exportable and then whether importing
users have read-only/read-write access - could even get fancy by being able to
specify which users/groups etc could import the section. The importing bookmark
file could the create a slot to hold the imported bookmarks (say from
user/directory/bookmark/file:section) - you'd have to take into consideration
that the source bookmark file may be unavailable (nfs site down etc.) and just
show the section with a 'currently unavailable' message.  It would also be
handy to be able to create a default bookmark file so that any new user created
gets this set of bookmarks - I'm thinking corporate use here! Another handy
feature regarding the import concept would be to be able to generate a
free-standing section which could be held on floppy and then imported on other
systems - I'd like to be able to easily transfer my personal bookmarks from my
machine at work to my home beast.

How about a temporary bookmarks file, valid for the current session only - when
you are surfing you frequently find sites that you may want to come back to
during this session but don't want the bother of addding and deleting them from
the 'live' bookmarks. Then you'd have to provide a facility to transfer
temporary bookmarks to live bookmarks. It would also be useful if the last
temporary bookmark file was available for re-load in the next session.

A lot of rambling but these features aren't available via Netscape so they may
be of interest.

Cheers - Alan Prescott

ajp@fudokai.org.uk

["unnamed" (text/html)]

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Hi Lars - Sorry if this isn't the correct way to pass on
suggestions for Konqueror development but I can't seem to find an official
path.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>I don't know much about Konqueror except that it's a browser,
so I'll pass on a few thoughts generated from using Netscape.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>In a multi-user environment it would be highly useful if the
bookmarks system could include other bookmark sections (e.g. from other users,
corporate-level, department level) etc.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>One thought would be to have the ability to specify sections /
entries in a bookmark file as exportable and then whether importing users have
read-only/read-write access - could even get fancy by being able to specify
which users/groups etc could import the section. The importing bookmark file
could the create a slot to hold the imported bookmarks (say from
user/directory/bookmark/file:section) - you'd have to take into consideration
that the source bookmark file may be unavailable (nfs site down etc.) and just
show the section with a 'currently unavailable' message.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>It would also be handy to be able to create a default bookmark
file so that any new user created gets this set of bookmarks - I'm thinking
corporate use here!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Another handy feature regarding the import concept would be to
be able to generate a free-standing section which could be held on floppy and
then imported on other systems - I'd like to be able to easily transfer my
personal bookmarks from my machine at work to my home beast.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>How about a temporary bookmarks file, valid for the current
session only - when you are surfing you frequently find sites that you may want
to come back to during this session but don't want the bother of addding and
deleting them from the 'live' bookmarks. Then you'd have to provide a facility
to transfer temporary bookmarks to live bookmarks. It would also be useful if
the last temporary bookmark file was available for re-load in the next
session.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>A lot of rambling but these features aren't available via
Netscape so they may be of interest.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Cheers - Alan Prescott</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2><A
href="mailto:ajp@fudokai.org.uk">ajp@fudokai.org.uk</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>