List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Kfm and Konqueror contra Netscape
From:       Calvin Ostrum <cbo () interlog ! com>
Date:       1999-10-26 1:42:52

Earlier I wrote that I find kfm (kde 1.1.2) to be far
more pleasant to use as a browser than Netscape.
However, there are some shortcomings that force me to
drop back into Netscape occasionally and this is
very discouraging.

The thing that is disturbing me most now is that
quite often I cannot seem to connect to pages that
I should be able to.  For example, when downloading
packages from RedHat, the first click invariably tells
me I cannot access the file, and then the second click
invariably works (so it isn't a matter of the ftp site
being too crowded or something).  As another example,
the NY Times either stores or access my authorization
information correctly.  After I have given my
userid and password it looks at some pages, but
not all of them.  "File does not exist or access
denied" it says. This is very discouraging.

Does anyone know if this has been fixed or if it
will be fixed in konqueror.  Or how difficult it
would be to fix it in kfm and if it is worth the
trouble?

As a first investigation, without looking at the
source at all, I see that netscape saves cookies
for the NY times which appear to be the userid
and password, but kfm does not appear to save
them.  I suppose that this could have a lot to do with it
(although it shouldn't have to save the cookies in
the cookies file in order to use them correctly during
the session, and it seems to use them for at least some
pages).  It also appears that the site address for pages
that cannot be visited are not of the form www.nytimes.com
but rather something like search.nytimes or www10.nytimes.com.
Perhaps the authorization is not being applied correctly
for these related URL's.   It seems that this might
be something rather easy to fix.  Should I look into
it, or has someone already done so, or what, I wonder?
Or maybe I just have kfm confirgued incorrectly! It
appears to be saving some cookies from nytimes.com
correctly, and using them, so that doesn't appear to
be the problem.

Another annoying thing is that https pages cannot be
dealt with.  Obviously this is a bigger issue, requiring
the employment of OpenSSL or something similar, so I won't
expect this in kfm.  But will it be coming in konqueror?

For normal use of browsers, I think these two issues
are far more important than java and javascript support.

Calvin Ostrum                                              cbo@interlog.com
  It need hardly be mentioned that the sight of a being adorned with no
  feature of a pure and good will yet enjoying uninterrupted prosperity
  can never give pleasure to a rational impartial observer.
        -- Kant, "Foundations of the metaphysics of morals"