List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    RE: KFM download progress indicator
From:       Yves Arrouye <yves () realnames ! com>
Date:       1999-10-21 17:30:57

> > If anything, Kb/s (capital K for kilo). Bytes are
> abbreviate with b. The
> > context is usually what desambiguates (eg. communication
> devices report
> > speed in bits per seconds while file transfer does so in
> bytes). I've seen
> > Kb and Kbits, but never KB.
>
> The original poster was right, kB is the proper abbreviation for kilo
> byte. Kilo is abbreviated with the small k, like kW (kilo Watt) or kJ
> (kilo Joule). Bits are abbreviated to the small letter b, and bytes to
> the capital B.
>
> The M for mega is in capital, just like the G for giga.

Even for computer-related measures, where the kilo is not the SI kilo
(factor of 1000), but rather an industry-specific one (factor of 2^10 or
1024)? I'm asking because any computer publication [in the US] will use KB
and MB. Not that they are right, but I'm curious what the definitive answer
is.

Yves.