List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: .kde.html, khtml's embed tag and frames in konqueror
From:       Simon Hausmann <tronical () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-08-20 20:03:00

On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Lars Knoll wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> [...]
> > > For objects, we could perhaps add a virtual createObject() function.
> > > The implementation in kbrowser will then take care only of a few object
> > > types, others (like an embedded KIconView) can then be defined by
> > > overloading the function.
> > >
> > > IMO we should use the object element for embedding other things than
> > > HTML frames. It's added to HTML-4 for this purpose, and is now mainly used
> > > for Java. But we can easily extend this one to embed whatever we want.
> > > Here it could be nice to use OpenParts. Hmmm... but then on the other hand
> > > all frames need to be KonqHTMLViews, or we need to pass the createObject
> > > call through to the main HTMLView (which is a KonqHTMLView).
> >
> > I can only agree with what you said :-)
>
> Great. So I'll add some sort of createObject function to kbrowser (as soon
> as I get to (re)implement the object/frame stuff).

*looking forward*

> > ...and I vote against passing createObject calls through.
>
> So we have a KonqHTMLView for every frame. I don't really like the bloat
> we get there, but it's for sure the cleanest solution.

I don't like it either, but OTOH passing things around top one "toplevel"
KonqHTMLView leads to a buggy implementation like we have now....
(IMHO)

Hmmm, wait, there's one thing that comes to my mind which makes me think
that we might consider to make it possible to have *any* kind of frame
view. If I click on an image in netscape (for example) , in a frame, then
netscape displays it in the frame ( != html frame) ...

What do you think?

(if it's too difficult/complex/bloat to implement, then I vote for the
html-frame-only way though :-)

Greetings,
 Simon