List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: .kde.html, khtml's embed tag and frames in konqueror
From:       Lars Knoll <Lars.Knoll () mpi-hd ! mpg ! de>
Date:       1999-08-19 12:39:34

Hi,

Since I'm currently rewriting khtml's internals, I'm also thinking about
that stuff. We will need to be able to embed widgets in khtml, not only
for the .kde.html feature, but also for Java, the IFRAME element and
perhaps some other things (haven't thought too much about these things
neither up to now...)

Because I want to have an implementation in khtml, which ich compatible to
DOM Level1, I'm not so sure, if the implementation of frames in khtml will
stay as it is at the moment.

On the other hand, I would like to have some general solution to embed
widgets (of any kind) in khtml. For this HTML-4 defines the object
element. We could extend it a little bit, to serve also our own needs. One
idea I had, goes as follows:

in the html code, you have something like:
<object height=yyy width=xxx codetype="KDEWidget:some_id">

This causes khtml to create an object for this element, and request the
widget from the application (can be done with signals/slots). The app
returns the widget to khtml, and khtml embeds it.

With some support from konqueror, this could be used for implementing the
.kde.html feature, or to embed any other thing you want int khtml.

I don't know, if this is as flexible as the solution you thought of, but
it might be less bloat, and I don't think it's very difficult to
implement.

Cheers,
Lars