List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: KURL and RFC 1738,1808,2396 [Was Re: Already Fixed Bugs]
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () ens ! ascom ! ch>
Date:       1999-07-28 7:18:09

Dawit Alemayehu wrote:

> Oooops pressed send by mistake :)
> On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, Dawit Alemayehu wrote:
> > On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> [snipped]
> > > The problem seems to be that KURL is based on RFC1738 and doesn't know
> > > about RFC1808 or RFC2396.
> >
> > Right.  I could have expressed all my blah-blah-blah comments with
> > one statement.  It does not completely comply with RFC 1808 section 4 and
> > section 5 of RFC 2396.  I chose the longer route because I did not know how many
> > folks read these RFC's. :)
> >
> > > We should fix KURL to be fully compliant with these RFCs.
> > Right again.  BTW, RFC 2396 simply merges parts RFC 1738 &
> > RFC 1808.
> >

> > I'll fix this in the HEAD branch next week.
>
> I might get there first since I was finally got around to compiling KDE2
> on my slow, slow system.  Don't worry it will be a much cleaner implementation
> since the KURL in KDE2 has a much more cleaner & elegant design.
> BTW, I will still continue work on KFilteredURL since there are some things
> that the RFC's AFAIK do not address but are commonly used today in most
> browsers.  While the above fix in KURL addresses relative URLs such as
> "//www.kde.org", things like "linuxtoday.com" and "www.kde.org" are not covered
> by it.  So I think there will be room for this class somewhere if not in
> kdelibs/kdecore.  I know at least two programs that will make use of its
> services ( minicli and kongy )

Yes. I think such a class would be usefull for cases likes described in
Appendix F of RFC2396 (Handling user input). All cases of "machine-readable
URLs" should be handled by the normal KURL class IMHO.

Optionally we could make it part of KURL as well, but make it a static
member function like "KURL extractURLFromUserInput(QString)".

Perhaps then there is less confusion about which class to use.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
The "gui" in "Penguin" is pronounced "K-D-E"