List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    KURL and RFC 1738,1808,2396 [Was Re: Already Fixed Bugs]
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () earthlink ! net>
Date:       1999-07-27 21:46:44

Oooops pressed send by mistake :)
On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, Dawit Alemayehu wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, Waldo Bastian wrote:
[snipped]
> > The problem seems to be that KURL is based on RFC1738 and doesn't know
> > about RFC1808 or RFC2396.
>
> Right.  I could have expressed all my blah-blah-blah comments with
> one statement.  It does not completely comply with RFC 1808 section 4 and
> section 5 of RFC 2396.  I chose the longer route because I did not know how many
> folks read these RFC's. :)
>
> > We should fix KURL to be fully compliant with these RFCs.
> Right again.  BTW, RFC 2396 simply merges parts RFC 1738 &
> RFC 1808.
>

> I'll fix this in the HEAD branch next week.

I might get there first since I was finally got around to compiling KDE2
on my slow, slow system.  Don't worry it will be a much cleaner implementation
since the KURL in KDE2 has a much more cleaner & elegant design.
BTW, I will still continue work on KFilteredURL since there are some things
that the RFC's AFAIK do not address but are commonly used today in most
browsers.  While the above fix in KURL addresses relative URLs such as
"//www.kde.org", things like "linuxtoday.com" and "www.kde.org" are not covered
by it.  So I think there will be room for this class somewhere if not in
kdelibs/kdecore.  I know at least two programs that will make use of its
services ( minicli and kongy )

Regards,
Dawit A.