List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: konqueror - session management / startup (fwd)
From:       Simon Hausmann <tronical () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-07-21 21:21:47

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, David Faure wrote:

> > It's just that I'd like to change/fix these things and I'd like to hear
> > your opinion, also because you wrote the current konqueror session
> > management code (konq_topwidget, ...) .
> It's a different thing. konqy's SM makes it restart it the position it was closed
> (number of windows, ...). Of course a lot still needs to be done on that (like
> restoring all views inside the windows), but at least closing with 2 windows opened
> should make it start with 2 windows opened the next time.

Yep, this feature would still exist. And in addition I'd plan to make the
sesion management save the current view profile in the sm-config -> this
saves/restores the whole complete mainview(s), for free :-)
(still needs fixes though, so that everything is stored in *one* group,
but the core functionality works fine)

However I don't really like konqueror starting up every time I fire up the
whole KDE. That's why I would prefer the usual way of sm and konqy not in
startkde.
What do you think?

> This has nothing to do with whether konqueror is in startkde or not.
> I also vote for it not to be there, as I said on kfm-devel, and I suggest a link
> to $HOME on the desktop, to fire up a konqy windows easily.

I agree!

> (But please don't make kfmclient fire up a new konqy each time one clicks on a
> kdesktop icon ! konqy does eat some memory, no need to have 10 konqys around for
> 10 windows).

OTOH if it crashes then 10 windows go down..

Perhaps we can find a way in the middle? ;-)
Every fifth window a new instance?
Hmm, no, that's no real solution I guess.
So we keep the old way of one single instances for kfmclient, right?

Bye,
 Simon