List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    view "follows" (tree)view
From:       Simon Hausmann <tronical () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-06-29 14:27:10

Hi,

I'm currently thinking about an old kfm feature which might be useful in
Konqueror, too: It's view-on-the-right-follows-treeview-on-the-left :-)

From the "technical" point it's easy to implement, but I have no real idea
about how the user can specify that one view should "follow" another view.

Let's give the two views a name, so that it's easier for me to explain the
problem: The view that actually _follows_ should be the child, and the
other one the parent. Whenever the parent request to open an url (via the
corresponding signal) , the request is "forwarded" to the child view
(KonqChildView), which will try to open the url (this might result in a
view change) .

Now the problems:

1) I'm not sure whether we should make this a general feature, meaning
   that the parent can be any kind of view or whether we should restrict
   this on the treeview.

2) *How* should the user be able to select such a binding? The problem
   here is also: Would be menu entries like "follow view on the
   left/right" sufficient?

GUI design gurus, please speak up! :-) We need an easy way (for the user)
to say: "Hey, make this one follow that one" or "Hi, please follow this
treeview" . I think this is difficult in a multiple-view environment like
Konqy. Perhaps we should restrict this in such a way that only views in
the same row can follow?

I would really like to see such a feature, but I have no clue how I as
user would like to create this binding.

Help! :-)

Ciao,
  Simon

P.S.: I just tried the new icons from the kde-artist team. WOW! They
      really look marvelous in an iconview :-)

--
Simon Hausmann       <hausmann@kde.org>
http://www.kde.org/  <tronical@gmx.net>