List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: How to choose between builtin and external application : proposal
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () earthlink ! net>
Date:       1999-04-01 23:40:07

>You mean a dialog box containing this, each time you click on an image ???
>Remember konqy is also a file browser, I don't want to "save to disk" a
>file that is already on my disk ! ;-D

Hmm... my mistake.  What I was trying to say was
*Save To Disk 		[                                ]    [Location ... ]

where location will bring about the KFileDialog for selecting directories only.
What I think this is good for ( at least as I used to use it in Windows ) is to
click on say zipped files, executables you want to download and have it
get copied to the location you specified. Come to think of it,  I completely
forgot about kget ; so dis-regard this feature !!!

>What's more, it's needed to be able to change this later, so a dialog box
>is not enough.
I do not understand here.  One can easily go to the Options menu and change
this and to have it take effect.

>Configuration items, like I described before, are necessary
>to define always-wanted behaviours.
Exactly.

>The goal is to display images and text
>_fast_, not to ask something to the user each time ;)
I agree with you here.  But since we are talking about configurability, we
should leave this option upto the user.  By default we can let konqurer open
images ( I have hacked mine to do this, but it is really ugly) as well as text
and possibly other formats.  However, if the user chooses to be prompted for
each type so he/she can choose the action to be carried out, then IMO we
should let them have it.  I do not think this makes much difference to the
average user but it will give flexiability to those that want to customize
konqurer to their liking.

Cheers,
Dawit A.