List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: KFM Error
From:       Simon Hausmann <tronical () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-03-28 20:26:57

On Sun, 28 Mar 1999, David Faure wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 28, 1999 at 06:50:28PM +0200, Rob Kaper wrote:
> > "The requested action
> > get telnet://capsi.cx:2300/
> > is not implemented yet."
> >
> > Looks to me this is a rather simple one to hack into kfm.. launch a kvt (or
> > whatever Terminal program has been specified with -e telnet, voila.
>
> This is right. kfm is not developed anymore, but this a nice feature for
> the successor of kfm, called 'konqueror' (or konqy).
>
> Simon, while making the plugin mechanism, can you think of a way to
> specify, in a plugin kdelnk : for the protocol "telnet:", something like ;
> launch konsole -e telnet %host  ?
>

> This will allow the same kind of protocol support for other protocols as
> well, without hacking the code.
> I can think of "rlogin:", and even of somebody wanting to use, say, ncftp
> for "ftp:" transfers, and netscape for "http:" transfers.
> (For this we need to make plugins chosen before hardcoded protocols
> (kio_http for http:, ...)
> Users love be customize everything, and a lot of them want to use kfm/konqy
> as file manager only and netscape as web browser... which can be
> understood, especially if there is java in the pages ;)

100% agree.

a) completely override libkio for configured protocols
   Before executing KRun we check to protocol and call the appropriate
   application.
   I think the problem here is the configuration: How do we find out
   which application supports protocol xyz?
   How do applications "tell" Konqy that they support a certain protocol?
   (for MimeTypes this was kind of easy: KRun did the job of finding an
    application. Then we just checked the .kdelnk file. But how to do
    without KRun? How to find the .kdelnk? )

b) integration in libkio
   Perhaps someone has a nice idea of a possible integration in the
   ProtocolManager (without breaking KIOJob ;) ) ?

Greetings,
 Simon