List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: kfm not resolving URI correctly
From:       Torben Weis <weis () troll ! no>
Date:       1999-03-22 0:13:21

Hi,

On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, David Faure wrote:

> > > Well, theorically yes. But who will enter '//www.kde.org' instead of
> > > 'www.kde.org' ? It's longer, and nobody knows about that strange way of
> > > writing an URL. One must be a RFC addicted to know that.
> >
> > Yes, and who thought that anyone would enter say a 5000 character
> > username, certianly not the SLMail authors.
>
> This is a different issue.
> I'm not talking about making assumptions [that can eventually lead to a
> bug], here. I'm talking about supporting or not supporting a user-supplied URL.
>
> > > So I'm ok for handling such links, but not such users' entry.
> > >
> > > What's more, at some point, we might want to handle //server as a samba
> > > server - which is not in the URL RFC, so .... ;)
> >
> > Well then another way should be thought of to handle them.  'Sides BNC (I
> > think that's what they're caled) use two backslashes so it's \\host\share
> > not //host/share.  Even smbclient and sharity lite do it with backslashes.
> I got some version of smbmount that supported //host/share, but with
> Linux-2.2, it's now back to '\\host\share'.
> Ok, anyway I agree with you : let's keep backslashes for samba, because this way
> there is no collusion with URLs.

I would really like to put the samba stuff in real URLs, too. It
simplifies the things for all users which are not used to the windows
shit. For them the windows drived should look like everything else, too,
in KDE. And handling a complete new syntax in Konqueror or at least KURL
seem no good idea for me.

Well, come to think of it, KURL should perhaps be able to parse this shit
and end up in a state that is equal to the state it would have gotten in
by reading a real URL describing the same ressource.

But that still means that I would like to mape the //host//share grap
to some URL.

Bye
torben