List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: random kioslave thought....
From:       Alex Zepeda <garbanzo () hooked ! net>
Date:       1999-03-21 4:48:16

> >My biggest problem is tracking down someone who has a working WebDAV
> >client and server.  I think if anything this means tracking down a FP
> >enabled server *shudder*.
> Well you are in luck, you can find one at http://webdav.zope.org:2518/
> and the announcement/press release here
> http://www.zope.org/pipermail/zope-dev/1999-March/000160.html

Hmm, I'll have to take a look at that.  I got one (www.fwi.com:8080) from
the W3 web site, which seems to work (OPTIONS shows that it supports
PROPFIND and the like), but not with MSIE5.

> I have not tried it out but you might want to look at sitecopy. I
> downloaded the code yesterday, but I have too much staff on my TODO
> list.  You can find sitecopy here @ http://www.lyra.org/sitecopy/ .
> If you got through their FAQ site (
> http://www.lyra.org/sitecopy/dav.html ), they have a lot of good info
> on this staff.  I learned quite a bit from it.

Well, the reason I wanted to use MSIE as an example client, is because it
partially did what I was looking for in that WebFolders treats a web site,
as a local filesystem.  Sitecopy does not AFAIK, it just mirrors stuff.
I'm not necesarily looking for code, but an example interface, although
I've got a few ideas, and still no real idea on how to handle XML parsing
(Another kdelib? Ew).

> This does not surprise me.  I would not touch thier browsers after
> dealing with IE 4.x on my three home PC s ( Thank GOD I am not forced
> to use it at work ).  However, I like some of the features it had (
> like the split windows they had for the history,search, favorites or
> whatever they call it now folder )

Well, I've got Win98 (came with the system) and haven't deleted it.  I
still contend that Win98 in all its ghastly bloat really has a few good
ideas, very poorly implemented however.

> >The next part would ideally involve shuffling around the code the way I'd
> >suggested earlier.  Although I know kioslave's WebDAV is going to be much
> >smaller than that of MSIE5's (3mb or so), I still wish there was an easier
> >way to separate everything so the WebDAV stuff could be another slave.
>
> Well I do not know much about this subject matter, but I have an idea anyway.
> Since DAV is a protocol and an extension to HTTP, could it be implemented like
> the other protocols such as file, ftp, tar, gzip are implemented now ??

Sort answer: no I don't think so.  The slaves aren't designed to be
stacked AFAIK.  I guess it'll just go into kio_http.

- alex