List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Fwd: Bug#992: menus and applnk directory
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-03-17 22:30:53

Interesting suggestion

----- Forwarded message from Alexander A Kirillov <kirillov@IAS.EDU> -----

Subject: Bug#992: menus and applnk directory
Date: 	Wed, 17 Mar 1999 15:17:38 -0500 (EST)
From: Alexander A Kirillov <kirillov@IAS.EDU>
To: submit@bugs.kde.org

package: kfm
severity: wishlist

Hi,
I would much appreciate if we could have a little more control over
which .kdelnk files are scanned by KFM and what is placed in menus. As
far as i understand, at the moment KFM scans both personal and system
applnk directories (and tries to hide this from the user pretending
that all of these files live in personal applnk directory); and kpanel
also scans these directories and places them in the root menu. What
I'd like is:

1. to make it possible to have applications which are scanned by KFM
but not placed in the menu

2. to make it possible to exclude some (or all) of the system default
applications from being scanned or included in the menu.

IMHO, 1 is easy to achieve by, say, creating some special subdirectory
in /applnk such that the contents of this subdirectory is scanned by
KFM but not placed in the root menu. As for 2, you probably know
better what to do; one of the possibilities would be instead of
scanning both personal and system directory, link system
directory to personal, and scan only personal - this way, the user
has complete control, as he can remove the links. Of course, in
this way we also need to provide at least instructions how to restore
original links for those who delete them by mistake. Another good
thing is that this way, there is no need to cheat the user by
pretending that system applications also live in personal directory.

	best,
			Sasha

----- End forwarded message -----

--