List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: OpenURL event (was Re: kdebase/konqueror)
From:       David Faure <David.Faure () insa-lyon ! fr>
Date:       1999-03-01 18:45:37

On Mon, Mar 01, 1999 at 03:36:54PM +0100, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Feb 1999, David Faure wrote:
> >On Sun, Feb 28, 1999 at 06:14:42PM +0100, David Faure wrote:
> >> * I'm trying to add KonqHTMLView, and I'm finally thinking of a sort-of
> >> plugin mechanism :
> >> http:/ -> creates HTMLView
> >> ftp:/, file:/ -> creates some Kfm*View depending on the mode
> >> later, info: and man: would launch a part from kdehelp, and so on.
> >> Now, how to do that... Any idea welcome.
> >> Will try now some sort of registering to KonqMainView.
> >
> >... then saw the comment by Simon about chosing an event for openURL...
> >HHow do I use it ?
>
> Ok, here's a small explanation about how the mainview and the views communicate:
>
> (1) The View
> A view must _not_ know about it's parent, that's why a view sends signals in
> order to either give information about it's status or for several requests
> (popup menu, open url, etc.) . In addition a view "listens" for "incoming"
> events, in particular for the Konqueror::eventOpenURL and for the two GUI
> related events. So if an application (or for example the mainview) want's to
> control a view it has to a) connect to it's signals
> b) emit events to the view

I think I understood all this (from reading the code), but...

> The reason why we choose events for "talking" _TO_ the view is that this way one
> can install custom event filters (which is IMHO a very powerful tool) .

... the questions are in fact :

* how does one use event filters (tried to look in koffice but couldn't
find a small example of it) ?

* will it help for our problem - especially if we don't create an instance
of each possible view type right away at startup (see my post named
"konqmainview discussion") ?

> (2) The MainView
> The mainview now acts just as a kind of "user" of the views:
> a) it connects to the view's signals
> b) it emits events to the views
> And in addition the mainview "listens" for events as well (which it might
> receive from a possible "parent" component)
ok about this.

|  David FAURE                                                       |
|  E-mail : David.Faure@insa-lyon.fr, faure@kde.org                  |
|  http://www.insa-lyon.fr/People/AEDI/dfaure/index.html             |