List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: konqueror issues
From:       David Faure <David.Faure () insa-lyon ! fr>
Date:       1999-02-11 11:52:41

On Thu, Feb 11, 1999 at 11:58:47AM +0100, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Matt Koss wrote:
> >On St, 10 feb 1999, you wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I dont think that n views are of any help. It is easier to
> >>use if you have one or two views only IMHO.
> >>
> >I agree with this. I would personally use only two views, like its in
> >mc. I was using TkDesk for a while, but it's kind of confusing.
>
> I agree, too.
>
> (so I also vote for KfmViewProps :)
   ^^
?? I don't understand.

You agree that one will never need more than two views, ok.

But KfmViewProps was about allowing the following :
a) KfmView doesn't need gui->props()->... anymore - better design
b) KfmGui can have _more than two_ views, as the properties would then
be in the view itself...
c) Same advantages as KfmGuiProps (saving, reading, ... in a central place
; default values in a static instance, and above all, local properties).

So b) is not an issue if we stick to two views anyway.

Anyway, I suggest the following :

KfmViewProps, one per view, with view-related items
 (and a static instance with default values)

KfmGuiProps to store GUI-related properties
 (because we need to handle local properties at some time...)
 (with a static instance there too, for default values)

But the 'HTML Default' stuff should _not_ be in KfmGuiProps.
I think one would like _all_ his links to be 'red', not only in
some directories. (Later, however, we'll split e.g. the LinkColor into
two items, because some people want red links for local directories
and blue links for HTML ones - or not underlined for the first and
underlined for the latter...)
Oh, I know : a KfmHTMLProps class :)
There would be only two instances : one for FileManager mode,
and one for HTML mode. KfmView would use the right one depending on
the mode.

I hope you won't flame me because I suggest too many classes :)

The 'local' (or per-URL) properties in kfm II was a pain, and I think
the way to handle it correctly is by storing the properties in a class.

I'll do that if you all agree...

|  David FAURE                                                       |
|  E-mail : David.Faure@insa-lyon.fr, faure@kde.org                  |
|  http://www.insa-lyon.fr/People/AEDI/dfaure/index.html             |