List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: KFM Bugs (fwd)
From:       Michael Reiher <michael.reiher () gmx ! de>
Date:       1999-01-22 9:38:53

David Faure wrote:

> > > Not here. Anybody experiencing this ?
> > The mime type detection appears often a little bit strange to me if a
> > file has no known ending(e.g. *.cpp, *.gif,...). A file containing text
> > is sometimes recognized as a textfile and sometimes you have to rename
> > it to *.txt or someting like that. In sometimes it's enough to save a
> > file again to make kfm not recognize it as a textfile anymore.
> PLease, when such things happen, try the command
> file -m $KDEDIR/mimetypes/magic myfile.txt
> and log the results.
> We could determine this way if the problem comes from the magic file
> (it probably does, when the file doesn't have an extension).
Ok I did a little bit testing and tracked down the problem. The files
aren't recognized as textfiles any more if they contain german umlauts.
hmm... wait a minute...yes, it seems that the problem are 128bit
characters. The file... command always recognizes either ascii or
international language text.

If I find some time I will take a closer look into it, but I have
unfortunately very few right now, because I have exams soon.

Michael

--
Michael Reiher
     Student at Dresden University of Technology