List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: kfm-0.7.7 problems
From:       weis () stud ! uni-frankfurt ! de
Date:       1997-06-04 17:01:38

Hi,

On Wed, 4 Jun 1997, Stephan Kulow wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have several problems with kfm-0.7.7!
> 0. I have some compile errors, one POSIX thing with sys_errlist on
> kbind.h
>    and one with KURL::setPassword (couldn't find this one, commented it)
Uncomment it. i forgot to post the patch tu KURL.

> 1. About says 0.7.6, not important, but why not drop the
> minor-minor-number?

I am always to lazy to update this :-)

> 2. - if I start, HTML-View is similiar to Icon-View (HTML is default)
>    - if I change to text view and back to HTML-View, it looks like long
> view. Why?

Oooops..

> 3. If I split windows (don't know, who needs this :-), I can't change
> the position
>    of the seperator. If I do this (to the left), only the right half is

Right! That is a big bug! The splitting is provided for people
who like the mc :-)

> correct,
>    the other is grey with a scrollbar on it (looks like a bug :-)
> 4. If I "split" and "reload document", it's back to default (HTML and
> without splitting)
>    I think, this function is very useful, but shouldn't it named "set
> defaults", or
>    understand I something wrong?

The problem is a frame problem. Iam working on this. Frames are damned
difficult. Not a masterpiece of Netscape at all.

> 5. selecting doesn't work for me. If I click on a file, it keeps white.

Selecting with Ctrl Button and Selecting with a rectnagle works
well for me.

> So, if I delete
>    something, I'm not sure, which one was deleted  (very scary)

Mention that we dont have any double clicks ( only for root icons )
any more.

> 6. If I go through a tar file (great function, who implemented it
> when?), it needs some

One of the first versions of KFM was able to do this!

>    time, if the tar file is very big. The first time, I've found this
> function, I didn't
>    know, what happens now, since nothing happens for a long time. I
> think, a progress dlg

Information will appear in the status bar in the next release.

>    would be fine for such jobs, but this has minor priority.
> 7. If I change to a folder and click back, sometimes(70%) it happens,
> that the same folder
>    is shown, but back disappears, so the it's impossible to go back on
> the toolbar.

never seen this bug. Which protocol ?

> 8. I still haven't a "add bookmark", but I've heared on kde-devel about
> a patch.

The bug was solved but Martins new bookmark file reinvented it
since I did not post my patch to Martin. Mea maxima culpa :-)

> 9. One bug, Alan Cox claimed once, I have too:
>    If you delete a file on a NFS-Device, NFS creates files like
> .nfs1D14. This files disappears,
>    if you exit kfm, but for the lifetime of kfm, this files exist, but
> will confuse the user.
>    One way is, to ignore files, that start with .nfs, since they haven't
> a flag or something.
>

> O.K. This was my bug report and now my part:
>
> I have plans about KoolTalk or KToolTalk or KDETalk (I prefer the
> first), and this is
> a better kioslave, if you take it hard.
> The current way is, that everybody can connect to kfm (or kioslave) via
> TCP.

Noone can connect to kioslave. KFM is the server and kioslave the
client. One can connect to KFM. That is the major problem!

> What I currently implement, is a kind of authentification program. Since
> kerberos is far
> from beeing standard, I've decided to implement something in this
> direction, but without
> the kerberos system itself.
> I'm working on the Institute for Telematics, that implemented parts of
> the network protocol
> for the Swiss Telecom, so perhaps I can build in some details :-)
>
> I'm sorry, but I haven't for now 80% ideas and 20% code, so it's nothing
> I can show you
> directly, but be sure, it will be great :-)
>
> And for all those, who hasn't heard of this ideas before (It's the dream
> of Torben and me
> since months now :-), it will enable all the KDE apps to communicate
> with each other. The
> kioslave is only one of them.

This will give KDE applications the next level of integration!

The first part of KFM that should use KToolTalk is
kfmserver.cpp. The KIO stuff itself has no security lack.

Have a nice day

Bye
Torben