List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    kfm-0.7.7 problems
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () itm ! mu-luebeck ! de>
Date:       1997-06-04 16:46:29

Hi!

I have several problems with kfm-0.7.7!
0. I have some compile errors, one POSIX thing with sys_errlist on
kbind.h
   and one with KURL::setPassword (couldn't find this one, commented it)
1. About says 0.7.6, not important, but why not drop the
minor-minor-number?
2. - if I start, HTML-View is similiar to Icon-View (HTML is default)
   - if I change to text view and back to HTML-View, it looks like long
view. Why?
3. If I split windows (don't know, who needs this :-), I can't change
the position
   of the seperator. If I do this (to the left), only the right half is
correct,
   the other is grey with a scrollbar on it (looks like a bug :-)
4. If I "split" and "reload document", it's back to default (HTML and
without splitting)
   I think, this function is very useful, but shouldn't it named "set
defaults", or
   understand I something wrong?
5. selecting doesn't work for me. If I click on a file, it keeps white.
So, if I delete
   something, I'm not sure, which one was deleted  (very scary)
6. If I go through a tar file (great function, who implemented it
when?), it needs some
   time, if the tar file is very big. The first time, I've found this
function, I didn't
   know, what happens now, since nothing happens for a long time. I
think, a progress dlg
   would be fine for such jobs, but this has minor priority.
7. If I change to a folder and click back, sometimes(70%) it happens,
that the same folder
   is shown, but back disappears, so the it's impossible to go back on
the toolbar.
8. I still haven't a "add bookmark", but I've heared on kde-devel about
a patch.
9. One bug, Alan Cox claimed once, I have too:
   If you delete a file on a NFS-Device, NFS creates files like
.nfs1D14. This files disappears,
   if you exit kfm, but for the lifetime of kfm, this files exist, but
will confuse the user.
   One way is, to ignore files, that start with .nfs, since they haven't
a flag or something.

O.K. This was my bug report and now my part:

I have plans about KoolTalk or KToolTalk or KDETalk (I prefer the
first), and this is
a better kioslave, if you take it hard.
The current way is, that everybody can connect to kfm (or kioslave) via
TCP.
What I currently implement, is a kind of authentification program. Since
kerberos is far
from beeing standard, I've decided to implement something in this
direction, but without
the kerberos system itself.
I'm working on the Institute for Telematics, that implemented parts of
the network protocol
for the Swiss Telecom, so perhaps I can build in some details :-)

I'm sorry, but I haven't for now 80% ideas and 20% code, so it's nothing
I can show you
directly, but be sure, it will be great :-)

And for all those, who hasn't heard of this ideas before (It's the dream
of Torben and me
since months now :-), it will enable all the KDE apps to communicate
with each other. The
kioslave is only one of them.

Greets, Stephan
--
Stephan Kulow (coolo@kde.org)
Student der Informatik (NF: MedizinInformatik)