List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: KLook - quick preview extension for Dolphin
From:       Frank Reininghaus <frank78ac () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2012-10-20 15:19:15

Hi Sergey,

2012/10/19 Sergey Borovkov:

> On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 5:04 PM, Frank Reininghaus <frank78ac@googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> 2012/10/3 Sergey Borovkov <serge.borovkov@gmail.com>:
>> > Yes, of course that bug will be fixed before I ask for review.
>> > I just need
>> > to merge my current work on KLook in master to do that (it's just a bit
>> > incomplete and I am finishing it up).
>> > About patch:
>> > 1) I think nothing prevents to use Klook on space?
>>
>> Peter pointed out some time ago [1] why the "Space" shortcut for KLook
>> does not provide a big usability improvement compared to the current
>> situation in single-click mode (which is the default), and I agree
>> with his arguments.
>>
>> > 2) The problem of insufficient space for icon is of course problematic,
>> > agree - may be it would be ok not to show KLook icon when there is no
>> > place
>> > for it?
>>
>> If we do that, I can already see bug reports like "I enabled the KLook
>> button, but Dolphin doesn't show it" coming from users who always use
>> the Details View with a small icon size. And I also see that some
>> users will request that we make it configurable if the selection
>> markers or the "KLook" button will be hidden when there is
>> insufficient space for both. In other words: such a solution would be
>> a maintenance nightmare.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Frank
>>
>> [1] http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=133607423519253&w=2
>

> Can you suggest an alternative to preview toggle?

Unfortunately, I don't have any idea how to make it work better,
sorry! If I had one, I would have suggested it already.

> (or may be what todd rme proposed would be acceptable?)

Hm, I think that showing the toggle somtimes on the icon and sometimes
next to the icon would feel strange. It would also require quite a few
different code paths (depending on the icon size and on the enabled
toggles [none, selection, preview, selection+preview]) and thus make
maintenance considerably harder.

> We implemented this feature after Peter's
> suggestion that KLook should be opened using one click.

Yes, I understand that and I also know that Peter pointed you to the
forum idea of putting the toggles in different corners. The idea does
sound nice, but the potential problems only become obvious when you
have a closer look :-(

Best regards,
Frank