List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: KLook - quick preview extension for Dolphin
From:       Frank Reininghaus <frank78ac () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2012-10-03 13:04:44

Hi,

2012/10/3 Sergey Borovkov <serge.borovkov@gmail.com>:
> Yes, of course that bug will be fixed before I ask for review.
> I just need
> to merge my current work on KLook in master to do that (it's just a bit
> incomplete and I am finishing it up).
> About patch:
> 1) I think nothing prevents to use Klook on space?

Peter pointed out some time ago [1] why the "Space" shortcut for KLook
does not provide a big usability improvement compared to the current
situation in single-click mode (which is the default), and I agree
with his arguments.

> 2) The problem of insufficient space for icon is of course problematic, I
> agree - may be it would be ok not to show KLook icon when there is no place
> for it?

If we do that, I can already see bug reports like "I enabled the KLook
button, but Dolphin doesn't show it" coming from users who always use
the Details View with a small icon size. And I also see that some
users will request that we make it configurable if the selection
markers or the "KLook" button will be hidden when there is
insufficient space for both. In other words: such a solution would be
a maintenance nightmare.

Best regards,
Frank

[1] http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=133607423519253&w=2