List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Dolphin with tabs
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-07-06 15:31:48

On Friday 06 July 2007, Kimberly Lazarski wrote:
> IMHO, tabbed file management is amazingly powerful. I use konqueror as a
> file manager primarily, and only very rarely as a web browser. I'd like
> the left tree to be improved so that it can display hidden directories,
> and to optionally switch focus in the tree when I switch tabs, but aside
> from those nits I think that konqueror is as close as anything comes to
> being the perfect file manager. I can have multiple directories open in
> multiple tabs, and if I am doing something which requires side-by-side
> viewing of directories, I can split the view. I can open a shell prompt
> right in that directory and run scripts on the current working
> directory.
>
> While I do see some value in a project such as dolphin, by splitting it
> from the web browser to avoid the criticism gnome advocates sometimes
> toss in KDE's way, I'd hate, hate, HATE to see KDE's file managers as
> crippled and dumbed down as Gnome's Natilus, even as crippled as
> Windows' file explorer.

You're generalizing. Nobody is going to dumb down "KDE's file managers", emphasis
on plural. The whole plan is to have an easy-to-use intuitive file manager (dolphin)
*and* a more featureful for-power-users file manager with infinite splitting and tabbing (konqueror).

> So yes; make it an option please, ESPECIALLY if the long-term roadmap is
> to cease development of file management in konqueror
That is NOT the long-term roadmap!

Dolphin provides the part for konqueror so that we can share code instead
of re-inventing whe wheel, but the plan -is- to keep both applications.

> Always empower the user if there is a decision to make;
Yes. But that's not a reason for making applications unmantainable with thousands
of code paths that only few users use. Think about the developer: he has to maintain
all the code paths, not only the main ones. So "feature X doesn't belong to feature Y"
is a valid answer sometimes.

You said it, you are asking for a power-user feature --> konqueror, not dolphin.