On Friday 06 July 2007, Kimberly Lazarski wrote: > IMHO, tabbed file management is amazingly powerful. I use konqueror as a > file manager primarily, and only very rarely as a web browser. I'd like > the left tree to be improved so that it can display hidden directories, > and to optionally switch focus in the tree when I switch tabs, but aside > from those nits I think that konqueror is as close as anything comes to > being the perfect file manager. I can have multiple directories open in > multiple tabs, and if I am doing something which requires side-by-side > viewing of directories, I can split the view. I can open a shell prompt > right in that directory and run scripts on the current working > directory. > > While I do see some value in a project such as dolphin, by splitting it > from the web browser to avoid the criticism gnome advocates sometimes > toss in KDE's way, I'd hate, hate, HATE to see KDE's file managers as > crippled and dumbed down as Gnome's Natilus, even as crippled as > Windows' file explorer. You're generalizing. Nobody is going to dumb down "KDE's file managers", emphasis on plural. The whole plan is to have an easy-to-use intuitive file manager (dolphin) *and* a more featureful for-power-users file manager with infinite splitting and tabbing (konqueror). > So yes; make it an option please, ESPECIALLY if the long-term roadmap is > to cease development of file management in konqueror That is NOT the long-term roadmap! Dolphin provides the part for konqueror so that we can share code instead of re-inventing whe wheel, but the plan -is- to keep both applications. > Always empower the user if there is a decision to make; Yes. But that's not a reason for making applications unmantainable with thousands of code paths that only few users use. Think about the developer: he has to maintain all the code paths, not only the main ones. So "feature X doesn't belong to feature Y" is a valid answer sometimes. You said it, you are asking for a power-user feature --> konqueror, not dolphin. -- David Faure, faure@kde.org, sponsored by Trolltech to work on KDE, Konqueror (http://www.konqueror.org), and KOffice (http://www.koffice.org).