List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: XEmbed-aware NPAPI Plugins?
From:       "Maksim Orlovich" <mo85 () cornell ! edu>
Date:       2007-04-04 20:57:07

> How about Flash Player 9 (latest version)?

Definitely not that particular bug / not that obviously -- as I said, I
had quite a few crashes when trying to implement npruntime, but it's just
hard to say whose fault they were, as the implementation was incomplete as
well. (Though it could do stuff like find out the number of frames, etc.).
I am just not very good at debugging stuff w/a stripped library...

What Flash 7 used to do was something like:
*(int*)dlsym("gtk_major_version") for some ABI revisions. Which, of
course, crashes with a null pointer exception w/nspluginviewer.

> Querying for a specific toolkit somewhat undermines the goal of XEmbed.
> I thought XEmbed was supposed to allow, for example, putting GTK apps
> inside KDE apps, which is the goal here.

I would definitely agree with that, and in our end, it may be nicer not to
use Xt (though I am not sure supporting both Xt and XEmbed wouldn't be
scarier).

> There are no public versions of the Adobe Flash Player for Linux that
> presently support XEmbed right now. But the stuff I'm working on right
> now does not query for underlying toolkit support.

This is very, very, good to hear, and might mean that I might try to do
the XEmbed thing, if I can find something to test with, though it's in no
way guaranteed --- way too much other stuff to do, and npruntime support
would be more important... Flash is basically -the- critical plugin we
care about, just about everything else is replaceable natively.

Thanks,
Maks