List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Question: time-scale of impl. CSS/XSLT client side
From:       Nikolas Zimmermann <wildfox () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-11-03 11:23:47

On Wednesday 03 November 2004 11:46, Frans Englich wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a blatant wondering about the plans of implementing two features,
> namely client side rendering of XML with CSS[1] and XSLT[2]. For a
> web-project of mine, it could be good to know the time-scales in rough
> terms, in case anyone have it in plans.
>
> While CSS rendering seems to me easiest, combining existing code, XSLT
> looks like a horror since no C++ XSLT stack is available, not even at far
> sight(right?). Perhaps one could use libxml/xslt's C++ bindings?[3] Those
> libs are at least popular, the fastest around, and feature rich.
>

> Absence of Patch, Ramblings, & Greetings,

Hi Frans,

i'm planning to add libxslt support in kdom, as we already
have a libxml based parsing backend. Transforming an xml
doc using xslt & kdom should be fairly easy to code, the
problems raise when we want to xslt transform an in-memory
kdom tree. That would need a full conversion to libxml
based memory structures - of course that's slow - but
AFAIK the WebCore people actually try the same, at the moment..

Though I haven't find any code about that on the web,
maybe someone else had more luck?

Dave Hyatt wrote about that in August..
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/hyatt/archives/2004_08.html#006219

(Though I'm busy atm with exams, by the 20. Nov I should have time again...)

Bye
 Bye
  Niko